“I am the living bread that came down from heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will
live forever . . . he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life and . . . abides
in me, and I in him.” John 6:51, 54, 56
The Sacrament of First Eucharist
Children of the parish celebrate the sacrament of First Eucharist in the third grade.
Preparation begins in grade one, building on the family’s foundation of faith, through
attendance at a Catholic school or enrollment in the parish Religious Education Program.
The sacrament of reconciliation is celebrated before First Eucharist.
The preparation program for First Eucharist recognizes the place of parents as the
primary catechist of their child. Therefore, the immediate sacrament preparation takes
place in the home by the parents, in coordination with the Parish Catechetical Office
Immediate preparation includes:
- Attending Mass each weekend with your child.
- A parent information meeting, usually held in October.
- Participation at the four Eucharist Preparation Masses.
- Participation at the parent-child Jesus Day Retreat, usually held in March.
- Parent and child attend a First Eucharist rehearsal.
First Eucharist is celebrated during the Easter season, at specially designated Sunday
For sacrament preparation for children older than 3rd grade, please contact the PCO.